Why study at the University of Tasmania
The University of Tasmania is a special university located in a special place - Tasmania, Australia's beautiful island state. The University is a nice size - not too big and not too small. People are friendly and have time to help you. Students have the opportunity to excell and go on to achieve things they never thought possible. UTAS is for the student who is serious about learning and developing.
“My studies at UTAS developed my ability to teach and conduct research related to tertiary education. I found independent learning and critical and analytic thinking to be highlights of my studies. I would definitely recommend UTAS to anyone who is serious about undertaking further university studies”.
Isabel Yanjun Wang- China - Master of Education (Honours) 2005.
But it is not all hard study. Tasmania also provides the opportunity to have a lot of fun.
"Tasmania is well known for its unique and unspoiled wilderness. I have taken up several outdoor sports since arriving. With the excellent equipment available to students through the University's clubs, I have become a white water rafting guide, been rock-climbing and enjoyed bushwalking in remote conservation and wilderness areas. Not to mention sailboarding and surfing on white sandy beaches with turquoise water. Some so remote that you won’t meet anyone for days. Besides the outdoor activities, I also enjoy the relaxing lifestyle of living in Tasmania, including the occasional coffee at Salamanca Place, famous for its weekly market, and purchased some of the unique range of crafts from the local artists. My weekends are frequently started on a few cold beers in one of the various pubs."
"I can happily say that I do not intend returning to Germany in the near future. I plan to continue postgraduate studies in chemistry. Everyone from Germany that I’ve met in Tasmania has had a ball and often prolonged their stay way past their expected departure dates."
David Schaller - Germany - Chemistry 2005
- The International Students' Committe website has useful information for international students.
Why study at UTAS?
Listed below are the most commons reasons given by our international students for studying at the University:
- Prestige - one of the oldest universities in Australia.
- Tradition - strong research record, top ten in Australia in terms of Australian Research Council Grants.
- Education - Friendly, helpful staff, access to teachers, strong support = the 'highest completion rates for international students in Australia' (Carrick Institute 2008)
- Value - tuition fees set at affordable levels and frozen at starting levels for duration of a student's course.
- Lifestyle - Tasmania is becoming one of the most popular destinations for holidays, living and studying in Australia.
- Cost - living costs and tuition fees add up to a very appealing option when compared to most other study destinations.
- Convenience - most students can walk to campus from their accommodation; lecturers and tutors can be consulted without difficulty; computers are accessible 24 hours a day.
Kerslake Hall accommodation, Launceston (left) and International students at 'O' Week (right)
- See more comments by our students on studying at UTAS.
RESEARCH & FEES